Tuesday 1 December 2009

God bless Sleek Makeup!

Don't you just LOVE it when cheap makeup turns out to be so fabulous it leaves you stunned?

I do.

Which is why I'm over the moon about Sleek Makeup! I stopped by at my local Superdrug after lectures yesterday for some retail therapy and found myself at the Sleek makeup counter. After playing around with a lot of products I decided to purchase (completely on a whim) a tinted lip conditioner (one of four colours), a lipstick and a blush.

I was going to post about those yesterday but when I played around with them and discovered how amazing the tinted lip conditioner was, I knew I had to go back and get the other three colours as well. So here are some initial thoughts on the complete line of tinted lip conditioners, a lipstick and a blush from Sleek Makeup!

Sleek's tinted lip conditioners are called "Pout Polish" and they have SPF 15 which is a big plus, ofcourse! Check out the super cute packaging...



So here are the four colours... in the top row we have Chocolate Kiss 948 and Pink Cadillac 947 and in the bottom row we have Electro Peach 946 and Perfect Plum 949. This is what they look like with flash...



And this is what they look like without flash....



Plum Perfect: this is by far the most pigmented of the four! It's a deep plummy-wine red shade and if you really layer this on it gives the coverage of a liquid lipstick, not a lip conditioner! The gloss wear time on all of these is about 4-5 hours, but after the gloss wore away on this one it left my lips with the prettiest tint of red! Very wearable!


Check out how pigmented it is!


Chocolate Kiss: in the jar this looks EXACTLY the same shade as Cadbury Dairy Milk chocolate, I swear! Made me hungry! But it goes on much much sheerer, I would say this is the least pigmented of the lot and it just very lightly tints your lips with a caramel colour... this will come off very pretty if your lips aren't very pigmented (like mine) but if your lips are pigmented themselves I imagine this would probably just show up clear.



The swatch really shows you how sheer it is!

Pink Cadillac: for some reason this has photographed far more orange than it is... in the jar this looks about as hot pink as hot pink can get! It looks pretty scary but it goes on slightly sheerer which just serves to make it a very pretty, raspberryish pink on the lips. Im sure this would look amazing on very light skintones.



The swatch shows the real colour... this is SUCH a pretty shade of pink...



Electro Peach: this is another one that I was really scared to try because in the jar it is just a bright, unbelievably orangey-coral colour! Thankfully though, and Im not quite sure how, but it translates into a soft, wearable coral on the lips - I really, really like this one and I can see myself wearing this a lot.



See! Even the swatch looks scarily orange! I dont know HOW it manages to look so good on the lips...


So to sum up, the Pout Polishes are incredibly creamy and smooth to apply, they are long wearing (4-5 hours is pretty good for a lip balm, I reckon) and the colour selection is small but Im sure you'll find atleast ONE to suit you! Don't let these scare you off though - they're a lot more wearable than they look in the jar! Just over 3 pounds each.

Flamingo Blush: this blush caught my attention simply because it looks like an EXACT dupe of French Pink Blush by Bobbi Brown which is the most gorgeous, vivid shade of bright pink that gives ALL skintones a pretty, naturally flushed look. Im all for finding cheap dupes of bigger brands of makeup so I picked this up and, boy, am I glad I did. The only thing Im going to say is that in terms of colour, pigmentation, blendability and wear time, it is the EXACT SAME THING at a FRACTION of the price. I would really recommend this blush to everyone out there because its suits every single skin tone... use a light hand though because its pretty bright!


The outer packaging... I love Sleek packaging... Its so cute...


And the product itself... haha you can see my camera in the mirror :)



Majestic Lipstick: this is part of Sleek's True Colour lipstick range and can I just say this range is VERY aptly named. Honest to God, you get the exact same colour on your lips as you see in the tube... which, by the way, is very rare, EVEN with MAC and Bobbi Brown. And Im talking about a single coat, not layers upon layers.



Majestic itself is a really, really, really dark PURPLE. I KNOW. Ive never worn purple lipstick in my life but I figured if its costing me about three pounds it wouldn't hurt to try. This is a red-based purple though, not a blue-based purple so Im happy to report that it didnt look half bad on me! I was afraid it would make me look jaundiced but it really didnt... it goes on intensely pigmented with a light glaze finish. Wear time is about 5-6 hours without eating or drinking. LOVE. Love love love. Autumn-Winter, here I come!

The product photo and swatch are so useless, I dont even know why Ive posted them because its coming out maroon!!! What's up with that?! Sigh.




Bottom line:
I love Sleek. I am a die hard fan now. And I urge you all to cross over to the dark side as well. Its not every day you find amazing stuff which is cheap and easily available.
x

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

hmmm.... the pink cadillac lip balm is so freakin gorgeous...jus the swatch seems so tempting...=)

Sana Ansari said...

I knowww... isnt it just the PERFECT pink?!

x

Anonymous said...

Hey!
Just wondering, which Superdrug is this? I live in London too, and my local Superdrug doesn't seem to have the lip conditioners.

Sana Ansari said...

I visited the Superdrug at the Brunswick centre in Russell Square... maybe you could write to the Sleek Makeup folks and ask them about its availability? Good luck with that! x

Sara (The Makeup Snob.com) said...

amazing swatches ! Thank you@

Unknown said...

Hi, I`m a new follower ;)

Love all the colors, will have to try them out ;)

Have a great week!

XoXo

Sana Ansari said...

@ Sara: you're very welcome! x

@ SummerBabe: thanks babe! good to have you on board! x