Saturday 23 January 2010

5 Minutes to Flawless? YES, PLEASE!

Hello, my lovely makeup addicts!

It would be awesome if I had unlimited time every day to put my makeup on but, sadly, thats rarely the case. Most mornings involve me pressing the snooze button till I have half an hour to get to class which gives me just about... 5 minutes for makeup. Just barely.

So I've perfected this little 5 minute routine of mine which Im quite proud of because... well, it only takes 5 minutes, and also because it gives me a Bobbi Brown-type naturally pretty flawless look.

This look is all about flawless, healthy looking skin, naturally flushed cheeks, just a hint of lip color and very subtly defined eyes. And here's a step-by-step on how to achieve that!

1. After washing my face, I gently pat it dry (I dont remove ALL the moisture from my face) and immediately apply a generous amount of my moisturiser.

2. I give the moisturizer literally 10 seconds to settle, and then before it sinks into the skin I apply my foundation. I do this by putting a drop of foundation on my right cheek and then blending it in (using one or two fingers), then I move to my left cheek, then forehead, chin and upper lip and finally the nose. Use gentle, circular motions to blend and really take your time with this. You can use just a little foundation but if its blended well it can look absolutely beautiful!

3. While the foundation is settling into my skin, Ill take a tiny amount of concealer on my ring finger and dab it on the under eye area. Using very gentle, patting motions I blend it under the eye, in the inner and outer eye area and (very lightly) on the lid. Ive learnt from experience that its always best to use a little concealer at first - layering it later does not give a cakey effect, but putting too much on in one go does.

4. After the foundation & concealer is on, I'll apply a cream blush (cream blush always gives a healthier glow) to the apples of my cheeks. Smile - you know the round part that comes up? Thats where you want to apply it for a natural looking flush of colour. I do this with my fingers as well.

5. Then, I take a nice big fluffy powder brush and some loose setting powder and gently set my make up with it. Dont apply to much - believe me, a little goes a long way! When you're done applying, the skin should look a LITTLE mattified, but the dewy, healthy glow should still remain!

6. I then apply a matte bronzer (shimmer is too much for daytime, in my opinion) to my temples, in the hollows of my cheeks and jawline just to add some dimension and warmth to the face.

7. On the eyes, I want very subtle, natural definition so I apply just one coat of mascara, and immediately seperate the lashes using a disposable mascara wand or a lash comb.

8. Finally, I dab some pink/berry colored lip balm on my lips, massage it in well and then remove the excess with a Kleenex. This leaves a nice tint of color on my lips which I then seal in with clear lip balm or Vaseline.

And here's the finished product! (Which pictures dont do justice to, by the way...)




PRODUCTS I USE

Foundation: MAC Studio Sculpt SPF 15 in NW 30
Concealer: Bobbi Brown Tinted Eye Brightener in Medium
Setting Powder: MAC Prep and Prime Transparent Finishing Powder
Bronzer: Nars Bronzer in Heat
Blush: Bobbi Brown Sheer Color Cheek Tint in Sheer Coral (Limited Edition)
Mascara: Bourjois Clubbing Mascara
Lip Balm: Sleek Makeup Pout Polish in Perfect Plum and Vaseline

Whats YOUR 5 minute routine?

x

FTC disclaimer: I bought and paid for all of the above mentioned products. I havent been paid to mention them nor am I affiliated with any of the above mentioned companies.

7 comments:

noodlecapricciosa said...

I've been waiting for something like this for a while -absolutely stunning!!i'd doubt i'll be able to recreate this - i always get powder all over myself and dab the wrong amount of bronzer so i always avoid them...

Anonymous said...

you make it sound so easy, Sana. I look at my make-up ensemble and feel lost. By the way, what do you do when you have extremely oily skin and that in Karachi weather? I use moisturizer and perspire more, and the make-up is cleansed away on Kleenex. Munazza at the CJM

Sana Ansari said...

@ noodlecapricciosa: Im so glad you liked it, girl! You know, with powder and bronzer its always best to take very small amounts - you can always add more but its a lot more difficult to take it off! So use a big fluffy brush, just gently dip into the container so that the product JUST touches the brush and then apply... you should be fine :) Oh, and dont press onto your skin when applying, use a light, fairy like touch!

@ Munazza: Dont worry!!! We'll figure something out! Are you exfoliating your skin atleast three times a week? That helps with oily skin. Also, use an oil free, light weight moisturizer. Wait until it settles onto the skin and then use powder foundation, or a cream-to-powder compact formulation. Those work best for oily skin. Also, invest in a loose or pressed setting powder (probably available at EBCO)... its worth it!

Anonymous said...

out of curiosity what moisturiser do you use Sana?

Sana Ansari said...

I keep changing it every time I finish one because Im still on the hunt for my holy grail moisturiser, but at the moment Im combatting Londons dry, cold weather with Nivea Visage Rich Moisturising Day Cream!

nazish said...

lovely stufff

Sana Ansari said...

Thank you! x